Suggestion - Ranked Rewards & Features

• Disclaimer:

At time of posting, OBT and the ranked mode are not live so it is unknown how the mode works (for those future readers).

Suggestion 1:

Make the rewards granted to the player be exclusive from, or greater than, the rewards gained in the normal mode. For example, a greater monetary reward for a ranked match, win specific skins/clothing for reaching certain rankings, and/or titles etc.

Suggestion 2:

Communicate about the ranked mode to the entire player base. Inform them of the additional rewards that can be gained by playing ranked mode via things like tool tips during loading screens or naturally, by having players be inquisitive about exclusive skins/titles/etc. players have from suggestion 1.

Suggestion 3:

Dedicate an area of the home screen to a real-time leaderboard. Have it shown to the whole playerbase automatically when they log in for them to see where they place and who is top etc.

Suggestion 4:

Live events, Twitch events, Youtube events, news updates and discussions. This falls solely on the publishers to push these things and make sure that the ranked scene is reaching beyond just the people who are already playing your game but also those who happen to come across it and are in the gaming area in general. I can't go on Youtube or Twitch without coming across things for CSGO, LoL, Overwatch, Paladins or Smite. I can't go on my Steam activity page without seeing regular updates about leaderboards for Black Squad. Now, obviously I realise most of these games have a very large budget behind them to do these things but the difference between simply putting the game out to market to see what happens and actively investing in promoting the game could be the difference between a short or long lifetime for Ironsight. That doesn't mean I expect annual $1m tournaments but even just simple things like Twitch streams and/or Youtube videos with staff talking about the competitive side of Ironsight to engage the community and reach out to others could be a much needed boost for the playerbase. Run regular tournaments and advertise them across gaming websites. Turn the ranked side of Ironsight into an inviting community rather than just another mode.

Reasons:

The purpose of the 4 suggestions above is to generate buzz around the ranked mode and encourage everyone to play it, not just those who are already competitive natured. This will ensure a healthy ranked mode and not just a casual game with a handful of players in ranked, which in turn will draw in new players.

There are plenty of casual-focused shooters on the market already, and honestly, they offer very little new which has been reflected in their declining population and downfalls.

I have also come across shooters which fail to encourage or promote their ranked modes, opting for a small tab somewhere on the screen instead of pushing it to be the preferred mode. Incorporating a ranked mode as an afterthought in this manner would be a waste of time and effort. I believe MOBAs generally do better at encouraging using this mode through things like avatar frames corresponding to current ranking which is shown across all modes and to all players (There are exceptions of course).

I'll update this post in a moment. I'm writing this on my phone and didn't intend it to be this long, my hand hurts. ^^

Edit - My hand is now better. :)

2Rq9jSq.png

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackal: Corrections and letting everyone know about my hand. Added suggestion 4. ().

• Already suggested a LAN, so yes key to the games success will be the completive scene regardless the naysayers. Get the game in the hands of some top streamers ask they to stream it and get the word out. More advertisement on FB etc. But I like the ideas presented here, good start.

• Totally agree, I love those first 3 ideas and feel like they should definitely be implemented in the game, it will be something that makes a difference!!

about point 4, I couldnt agree more. I also made a thread which also points that out: Dear GM's/Devs

Clash Network Manager | Wreck

• Wholehartedly agree with this post

From KR version (Don't look if you don't want spoilers ^^)

Point 3 is covered, a real-time leaderboard is/was present in the KR version.

As for point 1. Ranked rewards of the last KR ranked season were Golden variants of the carmabit knife and sg553. I've no idea if there were higher compensations for finishing a match or not. (Hadn't the chance to play it thoroughy with a decent ping)

It was also noted that rewards may differ from season to season. But they have only started one season since the addition of compensations for ranked matches in their August patch. And the won't be doing season 2 since the game is closing down in February.

You can also earn emblems

Sources:

Ranked mode content preview

Addition of ranking page and compensation by rank 14/08/17

Also this may or may not differ in our version.

Good thing for suggestion 4 is to contact ESL to start/test some cups or Go4's. Might gain some traction and even could see a creation of an ESL league like they had for AVA and Skill.

Still, Neowiz backing out of the game in Korea is a pretty huge blow. They've done really nice things for AVA (Local cups, Asian cups and even going as far to Iesf), which of course pushed the western regions too in setting up a more competitive scene. A lot of those things might've happened to IS too, but unfortunately not as it seems.

Now to make things worse for IS's competition, there's this other game called Battalion 1944, which is basically a fast paced competitive (marketed as such) ww2 shooter. A lot of CoD (promod) fans seems to like it, and big streamers such as Shroud have been streaming it lately. It's getting a lot of attention right now, with the game only being in closed alpha at the moment. Game's coming out in EA on Steam in february.

• Sure, why not have a mode for comp matches. But if you give people more gold for playing that mode, or give them benefits other than cosmetics, you directly punish players for playing the normal mode.

If you fix the gold economy for comp players and not for casual players, you dont fix the gold economy as a whole, you just erase a potion of your playerbase from the game.

Sugg 3: What about having better friendlist management instead of the same name you dont even know, just because he hit rank 1? Put that leaderboard where it belongs: in the statistics section.
    Sugg 2: I dont know why this needs to be suggested, if you have a mode, you should make it visible for all players. And if you have specific rewards, you should make it clear that there are these rewards. Ingame, and just by presentation. Imo if you need to push that because else nobody would notice or get what you did, you did it poorly.

ARGH the spoilers. ^^ Good reply, thanks. It was cool to see the stuff they have already implemented and what's coming.

I was going to make a thread once OBT begins about ESL. I was going to suggest a couple of ladders and such, gather feedback then try to get the staff to approach them. Could also make a suggestion thread on the ESL forums for IS but I don't know how successful those threads generally are.

Sure, why not have a mode for comp matches. But if you give people more gold for playing that mode, or give them benefits other than cosmetics, you directly punish players for playing the normal mode.

If you fix the gold economy for comp players and not for casual players, you dont fix the gold economy as a whole, you just erase a potion of your playerbase from the game.

The gold income for casual players should still be adjusted, IMO. I think the developers and publishers should try and ensure a healthy ranked mode though, and one way to do that is to make players say "oh, I can earn greater rewards in ranked". People generally become invested when there is a progression incentive and a goal, which is what ranked mode provides. If Ironsight resigns itself to only being a casual TDM shooter then I don't believe it will be around for long, there is too much choice that offers the incentives I just mentioned.

Sugg 3: What about having better friendlist management instead of the same name you dont even know, just because he hit rank 1? Put that leaderboard where it belongs: in the statistics section.

The friend system should be improved, these two things don't need to be mutually exclusive? I think providing an immediate, visual incentive to join a ranked mode (thus making it a healthy mode) is important, as I explained.

Sugg 2: I dont know why this needs to be suggested, if you have a mode, you should make it visible for all players. And if you have specific rewards, you should make it clear that there are these rewards. Ingame, and just by presentation. Imo if you need to push that because else nobody would notice or get what you did, you did it poorly.

"I have also come across shooters which fail to encourage or promote their ranked modes, opting for a small tab somewhere on the screen instead of pushing it to be the preferred mode. Incorporating a ranked mode as an afterthought in this manner would be a waste of time and effort. I believe MOBAs generally do better at encouraging using this mode through things like avatar frames corresponding to current ranking which is shown across all modes and to all players (There are exceptions of course)."

It needs to be suggested becomes there are plenty of games that don't do it. If they have a ranked mode, some opt for just making it an additional choice on a drop down menu or list of tabs. If I was designing the User Interface for Ironsight, the ranked button would stand out by position and, aesthetically, by colour and size, promoting it be the preferred mode. Making it the preferred mode can be pushed further by showing the players information about it wherever possible (leaderboard on homescreen, tooltips, generating interest via rank avatar frames etc.). They all lead the player to the ranked mode instead of just relying on the players to go searching themselves.

I'm repeating myself here but the days of creating a f2p fps and shoving it out to market, relying on players to stumble across it, are gone. Players need to be provided with progression incentives, goals and ways to become invested in the game. This is why I mentioned certain games in my original post; they do an excellent job of drawing you in and making you care about your standing within the game. There were times where I would rather have eaten my own arm than play Paladins but I did anyway, because I was invested in my rank and wanted to improve.

• The gold income for casual players should still be adjusted, IMO. I think the developers and publishers should try and ensure a healthy ranked mode though, and one way to do that is to make players say "oh, I can earn greater rewards in ranked". People generally become invested when there is a progression incentive and a goal, which is what ranked mode provides. If Ironsight resigns itself to only being a casual TDM shooter then I don't believe it will be around for long, there is too much choice that offers the incentives I just mentioned.

Yes, but utilizing the ranked mode to fix global issues like gold economy or other stuff, is probably wrong.

• Yes, but utilizing the ranked mode to fix global issues like gold economy or other stuff, is probably wrong.

The point isn't to fix the gold economy, the point is to promote using the ranked mode. They can still adjust the gold income from normal matches. Earning more in ranked should be considered a bonus, not removing a penalty.

• While I really like your idea of adding more rewards to ranked I think they should make it go by seasons that you get rewarded , kinda how a lot of games do it. So at the end of each season depending on which division you are in you get certain rewards for that division obviously getting better the high you place. If you give rewards out for every game it takes away from the casual side of the game, which in all honesty will be the more popular side of the game even if this system were to be implemented.

• While I really like your idea of adding more rewards to ranked I think they should make it go by seasons that you get rewarded , kinda how a lot of games do it. So at the end of each season depending on which division you are in you get certain rewards for that division obviously getting better the high you place. If you give rewards out for every game it takes away from the casual side of the game, which in all honesty will be the more popular side of the game even if this system were to be implemented.

I'd be cool with that too. My posts were less about what ranked players should get specifically and more about making the point that there should be some really attractive appeal to the ranked side, for all players.

I'd be cool with that too. My posts were less about what ranked players should get specifically and more about making the point that there should be some really attractive appeal to the ranked side, for all players.

No I completely agree. That's why I said they do several season splits and give rewards at the end of each season.

• Post by Weilan ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().