Public Test Server Incoming

• PTS_Header_EN.png

Mercenaries,

After a lot of planning, we can finally present you with our first PTS testing!

You might ask, what a PTS is, or what we are testing. You will find all of this and more in the following:

What is the Public Test Server (PTS)?

PTS means Public Test Server. It is a dedicated environment where all Ironsight players can try upcoming game changes and test new features.

What you need to know:

All testing servers are made for testing purposes! As it is a testing environment, please understand that you might face errors and bugs. Any kind of purchases with AP is not possible, instead, your PTS account will have a starting fund of 500K GP and 5000 CHIPs. You will be playing with your own account, but the test environment and the live server are different realities, so any progress made in one will not be reflected in another. You may lose - in the PTS environment - items, progress, have troubles playing, etc. The advantage of such servers is that they allow you to access new content and test it before it's patched on live servers. The Public Test Server is located in Europe, which may potentially cause some latency for our players outside of Europe. However, to improve the quality of testing, we invite all our players to join: All feedback is welcome and important for us to better evaluate the game and the feature(s) being tested.

We will have "Focus Testing" session, on Wednesday and Saturday from 6:00PM to 11:59PM (CET). The aim of those sessions is to gather the maximum amount of users in order to get a maximum amount of information from our server.

And of course, because we appreciate you helping us, if you play during those sessions, you'll get rewards on your LIVE account! You'll find more information below!

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact our team on Discord.

What are we testing?

With this update, we will test our latest patch with the following changes:

• Netcode Update: Change in communications protocol from TCP to UDP for the game servers.

When and how long is it going to be available?

The public test server will be accessible to access from Tuesday, 12th of March at 12PM (CET) until Monday, 18th of March at 10AM (CET).

How to access the PTS?

You will need a distinctive Ironsight PTS client, which you can simply download from here. After the installation is done, you will be able to use the same credentials you use on the Live servers. On the PTS, testers will start from the beginning and have to select a new Callsign again. You will be able to quick-start on the PTS, which allows you to purchase weapons and attachments easily.

Where can I meet other mercenaries?

You can meet other mercenaries on our discord in the dedicated PTS sections in order to chat & share your feedback/opinion. Here are the dedicated sections:

• #pts_announcement - here we will post major information regarding the PTS.
    • #known_issues - here will post the main issues known regarding the PTS.
    • #pts_general - here you can chat with other mercenaries about anything regarding the PTS.
    • #pts_questions_and_feedback - here your can ask questions or share your feedback about the PTS. We also, have a form for you to fill out, if you want to be 200% sure we get your feedback! You can find the link in the section below. #pts_technical_support - In this channel, you can report any technical issue, and our team will assist you if they can.

How to provide feedback?

Feedback about the PTS and the features that are being tested can be shared on our forum. Alternatively, you can fill out this form to give us a better understanding of your experience.

How to report bugs/issues?

You can report bugs in our bug report form here.

Are there any rewards for participation?

Anyone who participates in this special testing session will receive rewards based on the progression level plus focus testing attendance. More information below:

Overall PTS Session

Level to reach Reward
    3 Superior Supply Box
    5 10 CHIPS
    10 Superior Supply Box x2
    15 30 CHIPS
    20 Angry Monkey Box

Focus Testing

• First session: Wednesday, 13th of March from 6:00PM (CET) to 11:59PM (CET).
    • Second session: Saturday, 16th of March from 6:00PM (CET) to 11:59PM (CET).
    Action Reward
    Play 1 Quick Match per day Superior Supply Box: up to 10 times
    Play 3 Quick Matches per day 10 CHIPS
    Play 5 Quick Matches per day Angry Monkey Box

Disclaimer:

• Rewards will be sent on the Live Server to the same account login that was used to log into the PTS.
    • Only Matches from regular matchmaking will be takin into consideration.

Is streaming or sharing content from the PTS allowed?

We encourage everyone to share and stream PTS content. Please make sure to include PTS in the title, should you stream on this server or upload content about it.

We are looking forward to working with our community during the UDP test. You've supported us through thick and thin, and we can’t wait to go through this major milestone alongside our community.

Thank you for your support.

Your Ironsight Team

• I dont think ping matters with udp but anyways NETCODE

SOON

It does, just like with TCP.

The main difference between TCP and UDP is that TCP packets are being acknowledged and re-sent en bloc if one gets lost.

You don't have to wait for acknowledgements to do things.

As long as no packets are lost, there's basically no big difference.

TCP also implements congestion control and a receive window, although the latter is disabled in Ironsight and the former won't matter in FPS games.

• Post by Abdullah.Pro ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
  • I've been playing for an hour or so. It feels exactly the same as the normal servers. They run well, but I don't know what differences are we supposed to notice.

Maybe less lag, but that might be me.

Please share your feedback here: https://goo.gl/GgS8L3

• I've been playing for an hour or so. It feels exactly the same as the normal servers. They run well, but I don't know what differences are we supposed to notice.

Maybe less lag, but that might be me.

I'm seeing way less kill trades and in turn more hit denials.

• Thats prob UDP at work. Since TCP isn't there to register your shots, you will face more unregistered shots due to UDP.

No, I don't think so. I don't suffer from any packet loss - TCP vs UDP would only make a difference in the case of packet loss.

I think they've also changed the way that hits are accepted/denied by the server. I'm not sure which implementation it is yet, because I've had one slightly weird killtrade, but it seems to be a different one than before, reducing the window for kill trades.

• Corner shots may just be the engine failing to update positions faster than your pc can receive packets or servers netcode to your pc is still bad. Because with tcp all packets are in order so “shooting packets” cant go before “moving packets” but it still happens. Udp doesnt have orderly packets.

Somtimes there a couple games once in a while where corner shots dont happen

<3Misfire<3

<3Yellow Star with dark Background<3

<3Celebrations DSR<3

<3Quickscoping most of the time<3

<3ironsight_20180524115517.png<3

<3as.jpg<3

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

The post was edited 1 time, last by Misfire ().

• It wasn't that bad to begin with, Insanity . Not sure how much better you expected it to be.

Oh, and you should speak English here.

I doubt the switch from TCP to UDP is going to solve many issues by itself, but it may offer the opportunity for solutions.

Once you have bedded in UDP then you can add in custom protocols on top of UDP to improve the reliability you lose over TCP. That way you can gain the speed and overhead benefits of UDP without foregoing all of the benefits of TCP.

The post was edited 1 time, last by OhEmGee ().

• Corner shots may just be the engine failing to update positions faster than your pc can receive packets

What does this even mean?

Because with tcp all packets are in order so “shooting packets” cant go before “moving packets” but it still happens. Udp doesnt have orderly packets.

What does this have to do with the rest of your point?

Somtimes there a couple games once in a while where corner shots dont happen

The only two I know of are Battlefield and Reflex (and Quake), and both use a hard cap on backwards reconciliation (or don't have that at all), meaning that you'll need to lead your shots beyond a certain ping. It isn't that bad in either of these games, because both games already have bullet travel time to begin with - it's a different story in hitscan games.

• the game engine is too slow to process the packets that your pc is receiving because tcp has fixed order on when packets should arrive and be sent so the shooting packet cant go first when the enemy is still behind the corner .

idk i feel the hitscans are pretty much similar

<3Misfire<3

<3Celebrations DSR<3

<3as.jpg<3

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

• The engine is not too slow to process packets. I think you're severely missunderstanding some things - packet order has got absolutely nothing to do with this stuff, unless you've got extreme latency fluctuations, and that's not the case here. Modern networks deploy flow control and will usually roughly preserve order anyways.

• the game engine is too slow to process the packets that your pc is receiving because tcp has fixed order on when packets should arrive and be sent so the shooting packet cant go first when the enemy is still behind the corner .

idk i feel the hitscans are pretty much similar

The engine is not too slow to process packets. I think you're severely missunderstanding some things - packet order has got absolutely nothing to do with this stuff, unless you've got extreme latency fluctuations, and that's not the case here. Modern networks deploy flow control and will usually roughly preserve order anyways.

well its a theory that looks like it can match the problem :D

<3Misfire<3

<3Celebrations DSR<3

<3as.jpg<3

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

• I spent 4 days in the server and leveled up to 20 but got nothing in my account? or are the boxes rewarded at a later time?

As said in the news, yes, rewards will be sent at a later point. Stay tuned.

When can we expect the netcode update? Is it just a matter of ironing out the kinks before it goes live? Are there other issues being addressed? Can we expect any content to drop in conjunction with the fixes?

latest?cb=20160225113057

The only reason Patton called the M1 Garand the "greatest implement of battle ever devised" is because he never met the FN FAL.

#BuffAK12