Hipfire Mechanics.. Explained

• Guys, this is my first actual post on the forums and so hopefully that alone speaks volumes. In my streams and other sources I've noticed a few people have nasty words for "hip-fire" which they claim is a broken mechanic.......

Let me start this off by saying that I completely disagree because I think it compliments the fast pace movement very well and also opens up a new or refreshing style to this genre that we don't see quite often. Developers who try to innovate and create a refreshing style should be celebrated and the style they chose to encourage should also be.

Hip-firing is not really as "insane" as most people think, it just works now because most people are not very good so they don't understand how to counter it. It also doesn't help that there isn't much of a competitive community yet so there aren't a lot of great examples of players taking advantage of ADS. I can tell you right now from a lot of competitive FPS experience that players who rely on "hip-fire" in this game would get severely punished if they think that would work entirely in competitive play. Holding angles, head glitching and peek shots are very much a thing in this game and would destroy anybody who tries to hip-fire. [The issue again is not the mechanic but the meta.]

I'm the leader of "GrindSquad" I've held a consistent 2.6 k/d and a 92% win ratio along with my team so I say that to say this. It is extremely easy to make hip-fire look broken when you are doing it against players with a lot less experience and skill. But again, if this game were as big as CSGO I could see this being completely different. [It's not a mechanical issue, its the meta].

Although I disagree with "fixing" hip-fire I do think ADS could be improved. Maybe making this quicker which would compliment the fast pace style of the game. There is also an "increase ADS by 15% perk" but this is far too low compared to the instantaneous hip-fire and there are just far better perks than that anyways like quick reload!.. Developers could also add onto "stock" which we seen in CoD that allowed players to ADS while moving around corners quickly and yes this is yet again in the game but it's just not quick enough. Adding More maps that encourage head glitching, and peeking from objects is also a way to combat this style of play or just longer ranged maps..

I could go on and on about this topic because it's one that I think really makes Ironsight stand out among its competitors but I think by now I have stated what needed to be said. There is a post by WreckIt and possibly StrikeR that may have made one as well that listed a bunch of ideas that I agree would improve the game entirely. I recommend you guys check it out if you haven't already.

[For those of you wondering what "head glitching" is... No it is not an actual glitch the way it works is you peek only your head from an object and because your head is barely visible but the other player is completely visible it's an extremely 1 sided fight that is considerably in your favor so people call it head glitching.]

[ Twitch.tv/MMOShay .. GrindSquad ]

Somebody mentioned to me a few moments ago to list some things in the game that need to be improved upon... So here it is:

1. Allow Health Regeneration to replenish faster

2. Ladders are buggy to climb and slow compared to the actual movement

3. Can we see some visible results from weapon attachments like Mod Rifling etc (example +1 Range - Damage)

4. Me and my team had to test out attachments and things like soft point, armor piercing etc.. Can they please be more specific in the description so we don't have to.

5. Striker drone is not smooth at all to use and because of this almost makes it unplayable

6. Custom games need passwords and need not to start automatically unless the leader allows it.

7. The leader of a Clan should not be capped at 5 for kicking players out in a day. It punishes those who allow for an "open" clan with requirements.

[This list could be longer but I wanted to name a few things in terms of priority, we already know ranked system is coming and I'm sure the developers have already thought about allowing parties of 6 to play together.]

The post was edited 2 times, last by MMOShay ().

• I agree 100%. Couldn't have put it into better words myself

• I wouldn't say that hip fire is broken, but it definable has a distinct advantage in a many situations. Even with AR's its more effiective to hip fire in a close encounter than to try an ADS the enemy because that split second that you take to ADS is the half second needed for you to get the kill off before the other person kills you.

Speaking of playstyles, I think the jump mechanic should be looked into, B-Hopping feels like more Quake then it does CoD or another FPS game similar.

• I agree, ADS is a bit slow, especially on ARs and SMGs, if it was faster it would have been used more often.

Ironsight will never be fixed or improved. It is currently making the same mistake Ghost in the Shell First Assault did - players are reporting issues, the staff is pretending they don't exist and ignore them, fanbois are sucking Ironsight devs/staff's chodes and zealously protecting the game as if it's perfect. Save yourself the trouble and find another game.

QlduT9e.jpg

AVA Dog Tag is launching: http://playava.com/

Jl0WJmr.jpg

• Good post; I agree.

I've been punished by the inaccuracy of hipfire (when a reasonable distance away) and by the damage falloff of SMG's, so quickly learned the importance ADS has in Ironsight. I think a lot of people don't realise it because the majority of games played is TDM where everyone is just running around like a headless chicken until they bump into one another.

I agree with everything on your list too, especially about climbing ladders which is so clunky at the moment. Don't really care about point 7 though because I've never understood why people want to be in massive clans where nobody knows one another in an fps game.

• Don't really care about point 7 though

Ive managed a clan with 40 ppl knowhing everybody more than just "hi", knew their strengths and weaknesses, their attitude and some personal information. Its just that you can reach 21 so easily, it is very limiting.

In the end, there will be Clanname - ClannameAcademy - Clanname2 - ClannameWing - clans that belong together, why not allow players to have big clans if they want?

• Ive managed a clan with 40 ppl knowhing everybody more than just "hi", knew their strengths and weaknesses, their attitude and some personal information. Its just that you can reach 21 so easily, it is very limiting.

In the end, there will be Clanname - ClannameAcademy - Clanname2 - ClannameWing - clans that belong together, why not allow players to have big clans if they want?

Can allow them to have it, I just don't understand it anymore.

I think It's harmful on low population games - I've seen a certain game mode pretty much die on an old game I used to play because one clan just recruited all the decent players meaning there was zero competition; it was stupid.

I'd rather have lots of little clans playing against each other and actually competing than a few massive ones full of unimportant players who barely know each other, and only joined because they wanted a cool clan name next to their IGN.

Just the opinion of an anti-social old man though :thumbup:

• I think It's harmful on low population games - I've seen a certain game mode pretty much die on an old game I used to play because one clan just recruited all the decent players meaning there was zero competition; it was stupid.

Can see your point. But as i mentioned, there is a workaround, resulting in just 2 alliences or so. We will see. 20 is too low but maybe we can have a middle ground.

• Can see your point. But as i mentioned, there is a workaround, resulting in just 2 alliences or so. We will see. 20 is too low but maybe we can have a middle ground.

I'd have it capped at 10 but I don't think many people would be happy about that. ^^

• I say it caps at 10 and then you can buy additional spots with chips. Just as other people said one popular clan recruits all the popular/good players and then there isn’t no diversity.

• I wouldn't say that hip fire is broken, but it definable has a distinct advantage in a many situations. Even with AR's its more effiective to hip fire in a close encounter than to try an ADS the enemy because that split second that you take to ADS is the half second needed for you to get the kill off before the other person kills you.

Speaking of playstyles, I think the jump mechanic should be looked into, B-Hopping feels like more Quake then it does CoD or another FPS game similar.

Hipfire is a mechanic of the game. ADS and hipfire are used in their own ways. Both have advantages over the other in different situations.

• Post by MMOShay ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Changed my mind. ().
  • +1 to every suggestion.

I also agree with the hip-fire vs ADS thing, and it is one of the reasons I never really bothered using any sights other than ACOG. Hip-fire is pretty much usable on every weapon type except snipers - right out to ~25m. Past that, ADS with an ACOG will out-do hip-fire. But we need things like the Holo and the Quick sights to be useful, which they are out-performed by hip-fire right up to 25m - simply due to the time it takes to aim. As you said, in order to combat it you have to "head glitch" and peek.

I hope the devs take your suggestions into account during this period before OBT, so we may see some serious improvements when it comes out. If they already have too much on their plate and don't want to hold off OBT for too long, hopefully we get improvements in future updates.

• Had 90% hipfire on my M4 according to my stats, I can't live without it. To each their own I guess :D

But anyways, is hipfire OP? Nope, but it surely is to go-to way to kill anyone in a cqc or mid/upper-mid range distance. The way that this game is paced makes hipfire just a surefire way to kill someone. ADS takes too long for it to be reliable in most situations.